This position is based in Monrovia CA, moving to Pasadena CA in February 2023. Fully onsite position.
Xencor is an innovative, clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company located in the Los Angeles area—near Pasadena—and in San Diego. We use our pioneering XmAb® technology to discover and develop better biotherapeutics, antibodies and cytokines with improved function, with the goal of improving patient outcomes and quality of life. We have an excellent opportunity for a Research Associate 2 to join our team.
Responsible for providing support and contributing to daily laboratory operations, supporting efforts to identify therapeutic antibody candidates using specialized methods specific to the assigned group, function or department.
Job Duties Include:
- Supports efforts to implement, execute and document studies focused on identifying therapeutic antibody and protein candidates in the areas of oncology, inflammation and autoimmune disease.
- Contributes to research team efforts toward designing and running experiments, analyzing results, and interpreting data
- Documents experimental protocols, designs, and results in a laboratory notebook
- Conducts and troubleshoots various experiments in support of research
- Executes standard operating procedures
- Maintains laboratory inventory, equipment and related supplies
- Utilizes computer programs to collect, analyze, and record data
- Analyzes and reports data, adhering to previously established timelines
- Communicates data to team members
- Contributes content to SOPs presentations and technical reports
- May present data in departmental meetings
- Follows all laboratory safety guidelines, practices and protocols
- Coordinates and collaborates on research-related tasks across multiple groups
- Adheres to all department and company-wide policies regarding conduct, performance and procedures
- Performs other duties as required.
Position minimally requires a High School diploma or GED with at least 7 years related laboratory work experience in an academic or industry setting. A Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences, cell biology, immunology or a related field with at least 3 years related laboratory work experience is preferred. Industry experience preferred.
The company reserves the right to consider internal experience in lieu of the education or experience requirements listed above.
Position also requires:
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well in a team and independently
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, goal-oriented multi-project environment
- Ability to understand and follow instructions from supervisors or other team members
- Detail orientation, good documentation practice and strong organizational skills; ability to perform method development, write protocols, maintain detailed ·records and inventory
- Proficiency in common software and data analysis packages such as SoftMax Pro, GraphPad Prism, JMP, and Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Ability to demonstrate competencies applicable for job based on Xencor’s Leadership Competency Model.
Depending on assigned research group, certain Research Associate 2 positions may also require any or all of the following:
- Technical proficiency and experience developing and running immunoassays and/or bioassays
- Experience in protein labelling and conjugation techniques.
- Experiences in flow cytometry, with proficiency in multi-laser flow cytometry highly preferred
- Proficiency with tissue cultures such as primary mouse, monkey and human tissues
- Experience applying complex, multiple cell type co-culture techniques
- Animal husbandry and at least 1 year of relevant in vivo pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry experience with cancer xenograft, inflammation and/or autoimmunity mouse models
- Experience with aseptic techniques such as may be required for working in BSCs. Experience with mammalian cell culture (aseptic preparation of media, freezing and thawing of cells, expanding/splitting cells for in vivo implantation). Follow protocols to perform transfections.
- Experience with basic laboratory procedures such as protein quantitation, ELISA.
- Performing phage panning and screening assays for therapeutic lead selection
- Characterization of target proteins and protein interactions
- Follow protocols to complete workflows for cloning, sequencing, DNA purification, DNA quantification and other processes. Assist with routine equipment cleaning & maintenance as applicable. Keep track, file and organize various reagents, oligos, gBlocks, DNA fragments. Perform supportive functions as needed such as providing aliquots or samples to other groups
- Experience in routine recombinant protein purification/characterization techniques (FPLC, HPLC, CE-SDS, cIEF) and data analysis/interpretation are preferred.
Additional Requirements for Laboratory and Research Related Jobs
This role may involve work with experimental subjects and/or specimens including infected samples, plus various Hazardous Materials and infectious agents (Bloodborne Pathogens, or other potentially infections materials (OPIMs). Therefore, the following are also required:
- Ability to follow the established Environmental Health & Safety rules, procedures, and/or BioSafety Guidelines
- Ability to read and understand Safety Data Sheets (SDSs)
- Ability to be available and willing to work some weekends and evenings to conduct and complete experiments
- Knowledge of biosafety techniques and aseptic/gowning practices
- Experience with laboratory safety standards and procedures, including biohazard handling and disposal techniques, and the ability to ensure laboratory compliance with required safety regulations
- Experience working with biological and chemical hazards, infectious agents, bloodborne pathogens and animal allergens
- Experience working in and maintaining a sterile environment
- Experience working with chemical, and biological hazards
- Thorough knowledge of the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment such as microscopes, centrifuges, spectrophotometers, balances, pH meters, and electrophoresis equipment, freezers, and incubators.
Occasional travel may be required, including travel between Xencor’s Monrovia and San Diego offices. Work for this position is generally performed at Xencor’s worksite and requires full-time commitment.
Expected Base Salary Range: $66,000.00- $77,000.00
The actual salary will be based on the selected candidate’s qualifications, including skills, competencies, education and experience. Xencor offers a competitive total rewards package including 401k match, healthcare coverage, ESPP and a broad range of other benefits. In addition, this position will be eligible for an annual bonus and equity grant. For more information, please see https://xencor.com/careers/.
As a condition of employment, Xencor requires all employees to have received a CDC authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen and at least one booster dose. New employees will be required to provide proof that at least two weeks have passed since their booster dose as of their start date unless an exemption or accommodation has been requested and approved.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Statement
The Company will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please contact HR@xencor.com.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
The Company is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
Xencor does not accept profiles or resumes from recruiting vendors without a binding written agreement. Any unsolicited submission of services and or resumes in no way creates an obligation or duty by Xencor, implied or otherwise.